Here are the answers to some of the more common questions we receive regarding the admissions process at St. Anthony High School.
1. We already applied to the Class of 2028, why has my child not been accepted yet? All Catholic schools operating in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles are not allowed to formally accept a student or collect admission deposits until March 1, 2024. This date is mandated by the Department of Catholic Schools for all L.A. Archdiocesan County schools do not have to follow this date. We assure you, you will be hearing from us on March 1, 2024 at 5:00 PM.
2. I don't qualify for CEF aid because our income is too high. What are my financial aid options? CEF (Catholic Education Foundation) is funded by the Archdiocese and has very specific income guidelines. BUT, we have our own aid, called "Sponsor a Saint" which is open to everyone. There are no income guidelines for Sponsor-a-Saint, so apply today.
3. Can we still apply for tuition assistance? Yes, the tuition assistance deadline is January 31, 2024. You can apply for Sponsor a Saint at https://ismfast.com/FastPage.php?id=729d11f1dd5759fed8d17515e48ebc15.
4. I have not applied for admission yet, but we are ready to apply. What do we do? Go to www.longbeachsaints.org/
5. My child still unsure about a high school. Can they shadow for a day? We have a team of student ambassadors ready and willing to host students for a day. Your child can spend a school day with a student to see what a day in the life of a St. Anthony student is all about. You can sign up for a shadow HERE
6. We have never been to the school and we want to see the campus. Can we take a tour? Yes, we love giving tours of the campus. We can arrange that any time via email or phone and would love to welcome your family to campus.
7. What is the HSPT? The High School Placement Test helps us ensure that your child is placed in the proper Math, Science, and English classes when they arrive in the Fall.
8. When is the HSPT? The HSPT is Saturday, January 20, 2024 at 8:00 AM in the school gym. It will end at noon. We will also host a make-up exam is TBD for students who cannot make it on January 21st. The make up exam date will also be for any students with a documented learning need that may require extended testing time.
9. Does every school use the same HSPT? Yes, the test is the same and we share them between schools. If your child takes the test here and wants it sent to another school, we are happy to do it. Likewise, if they take the HSPT at another school, please ask that school to send the results to us.
10. Is there an advantage to taking the HSPT at St. Anthony? Yes. If you want to qualify for any merit based scholarships, the HSPT needs to be taken at St. Anthony on January 20, 2024.
11. What are merit based scholarships and how do I qualify? Please refer to our Scholarships tab here.
12. My parents attended St. Anthony, is there a legacy discount, or other discounts available? St. Anthony offers a legacy discount for an incoming Freshman who is the child, grandchild or sibling of a St. Anthony alumni. We also offer a sibling discount for multiple siblings enrolled together and a Catholic family discount if the incoming student has a younger sibling in a Catholic elementary school.
13. How does St. Anthony get hold of my child's transcripts and recommendations? In your SchoolAdmin Parent Portal there is an Admissions Checklist which will allow you to request recommendation forms and transcripts to the following: Principal, Math Teacher, and English Teacher.
14. How does my child qualify for the Saint's Scholar program? Admission to the Saint's Scholars program is determined by the HSPT scores and transcripts from their current elementary/middle school. Should your child not get admitted to the scholar's program, they can petition to test in once they arrive their Freshman year.
15. When can my child start working out with the athletic teams? Students are eligible to begin practicing with a team once they successfully complete 8th grade and fully enroll at St. Anthony High School. Most of our sports teams begin practicing mid-June.
16. What is the admission interview like? This is not an interview, as much as it is a "get to know me" session with the family and student with one of our teachers or administrators. It is meant to allow the family to ask questions, and allow us to share with you some of the programs that might interest you. There is nothing the student needs to prep for this interview, and they do not need to bring a portfolio. This is a vital part of our admission process because it is consistent with our smaller family-like environment.
17. How does my child register for classes in the Fall? Our school counselors will create student schedules generated in August. Students will receive their schedules during the orientation day prior to the first day of school for all students.
18. Where do we purchase uniforms? Our official uniform supplier is Norman's Uniforms in San Pedro. They will come to campus on July 12, 2023 from 2:30-7:00pm to sell uniforms for incoming students. Norman's also has a store that you can visit at any time, or visit them online at www.normansuniforms.com.
Please let me know if we can answer any questions we may have missed. Reach out at any time. We know the high school selection and admission process can be daunting. We am here to help along the way.
For any additional questions not covered here or more information, please contact the front office at 562-435-4496.